Residents of Ian’s hardest-hit counties can get direct help in Fort Myers and Port Charlotte. Citizens Property Ins. also offers insurance help.

FORT MYERS, Fla. – Some residents in hard-hit Southwest Florida counties have lost access to their homes and, often, insurance information. Many don’t even know whom to call. Many also need basic services, such as hot meals.

Two Disaster Recovery Centers, so far, have been opened by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Florida Division of Emergency Management (FDEM) to serve those Floridians. At the Centers, multiple agencies provide resources to Floridians. They distribute hot meals and meet with survivors. They’ve also delivered food and water to Pine Island with the National Guard.

Locations will be updated in real time at

Disaster Recovery Centers

Port Charlotte

Town Center (parking lot)

1441 Tamiami Trail

Port Charlotte 33948

Fort Myers

Lakes Regional Library (parking lot)

15290 Bass Road

Fort Myers 33919

Citizen’s ‘Catastrophe Response Center’

Citizens Property Insurance Corporation – the Florida-owned “insurer of last resort – has opened Catastrophe Response Centers (CRCs) in the same Port Charlotte and Fort Myers locations to process claims and assist customers recovering from Hurricane Ian, many of whom may not have access to paperwork or even account numbers due to storm damage.

Mobile claims centers are open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. at insurance villages set up by the Department of Financial Services. A CRC is operating in the parking lot of the Port Charlotte Town Center, 1441 Tamiami Trail in Port Charlotte. In Fort Myers, a CRC is located in the parking lot at the Lakes Regional Library at 15290 Bass Road.

“If our customers can’t come to us, we will try to get to them,” says Citizens President, CEO and Executive Director Barry Gilway.

CRC staff can answer questions, help policyholders report a catastrophe claim, and arrange for additional living expenses (ALE) money for policyholders that have it covered in their individual policy. Electronic payments are available for ALE, and policyholders are encouraged to review and complete the Electronic Claim Payment Authorization form prior to their visit.

Citizens says there will be additional mobile sites soon as representatives get a better understanding of local situations.

Documents Citizens customers should bring along, if available

  • Policy information
  • Current contact information
  • Date of loss
  • Description and/or photos of damage (if possible)
  • Electronic Claim Payment Authorization form (ALE payments only)
  • Bank account and routing numbers

Citizens customers have a number of options to file claims, including online at its myPolicy webpage. A short registration process may be required. Policyholders can also file claims directly with their agent or with Citizens representatives, available 24/7 to handle claims calls at (866) 411.2742.

© 2022 Florida Realtors®

Go to Source
Author: kerrys